Starting from January 2021, some more strict measures to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic have been implemented in Kurdistan and in Austria.
The Austrian government has introduced a Pre-Travel Clearance form to be completed before travelling to the Austrian Republic. The document must be presented to the authorities upon request and its authenticity can be checked using an automatically generated QR code.
For citizens outside the European Union entry in Austria is forbidden, except for specific exceptions. In particular, sections 6 (1) and 6 (2) allow for medical exceptions.
The form can be found here: Pre-Travel Clearance Form.
Important: Before submitting the form, a flight ticket and a medical confirmation need to be uploaded in the specific field.
For more information please visit the website of the Ministry of Health: FAQs Travelling and Tourism.
Austrian Airlines Flights
Austrian Airlines has resumed regular flight operations between Erbil and Vienna.
The flights are scheduled as follows.
- Three times a week on Thursday, Sunday and Monday;
- VIE-EBL: 6.40-11.25 | EBL-VIE: 12.40-15.50.
For detailed information about carefree travels with Austrian Airlines click here: Safe Travel with Austrian Airlines.
By decree of the Kurdistan Regional Government Ministry of Interior, the following measures for the containment of the Coronavirus concerning travelling have been adopted:
- Iraqi nationals’ travel via Kurdistan Region border points of entry to a number of countries, including Austria, is forbidden;
- Foreing nationals from countries in Section 1 (Austria included) cannot entry the Kurdistan Region, with the exception of representatives of the United Nations, International Organisations, Diplomats, and Official Delegations;
- Iraqi nationals returning from the countries in Section 1 must self-quarantine for 14 days.
Here is the official translation of the Decree: Decree on Coronavirus measures.